Information on changes to state law for 2024, and key reminders of legal and ethical standards impacting the work of prelicensed clinicians. Meets BBS requirements for a 3-hour Law & Ethics course for associate registration renewal. 3 hours CE
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD, LMFT
This course highlights recent changes to California state law, as well as common legal and ethical concerns, that impact the work of Associate Marriage and Family Therapists (AMFTs), Associate Clinical Social Workers (ASWs), and Associate Professional Clinical Counselors (APCCs) in 2024 and beyond. Specific topics include telehealth across state lines, artificial intelligence, supervision requirements, impairment, and the role of personal values in treatment.
This course is designed to conform with Assembly Bill 1759 (2022), which requires all California BBS registrants to complete 3 hours of continuing education in Law & Ethics in each one-year registration renewal period.
By completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe at least four changes to state law impacting mental health care in 2024
- List at least three legally required forms of documentation of supervised experience
- List two key considerations when determining whether to provide treatment to a client located outside of California
- Identify one critical ethical concern related to personal values in therapy
- Describe at least two present or possible future applications of artificial intelligence in mental health care
Course Outline and Format
Legal changes for 2024
- Key supervision reminders
- Technology and telehealth
a. Practicing across state and country lines
b. License portability and interstate compacts
c. Artificial intelligence
- Performance monitoring and impairment
a. Required evaluations
b. Tracking performance
c. Impairment and burnout
- The role of personal values in treatment
a. Legal and ethical boundaries
c. Addressing value-based concerns
On-demand video format. Total running time 3 hours.
Course Completion and CE Certificates
To complete the course, watch all required video components, complete a quiz on course content with a score of at least 80%, and complete a satisfaction survey. When all course components have been successfully completed, your certificate will issue automatically and can be downloaded from your dashboard.
CE Provider Approval
Ben Caldwell Labs Inc d/b/a High Pass Education is an approved provider of continuing education recognized by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (#137848). This course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Refunds, Grievances, Accommodations, and Additional Policies
Our policies on Accommodations can be found on our Accessibility page. All course videos are captioned. Our other CE policies can be found here.
Published October 27, 2023.