Information on changes to state law for 2023, and key reminders of legal and ethical standards impacting the work of prelicensed clinicians. Meets BBS requirements for a 3-hour Law & Ethics course for associate registration renewal. 3 hours CE
Benjamin E. Caldwell, PsyD, LMFT
Several changes to California state law impact the work of Associate Marriage and Family Therapists (AMFTs), Associate Clinical Social Workers (ASWs), and Associate Professional Clinical Counselors (APCCs) in 2023. This course highlights those recent changes to state law and summaries key existing areas of law and ethics around clinical care and the supervision relationship when associates are providing mental health care. Topics include supervision, working remotely, employment law protections, telehealth, required disclosures, and more.
This course is designed to conform with Assembly Bill 1759 (2022), which requires all California BBS registrants to complete 3 hours of continuing education in Law & Ethics in each one-year registration renewal period, as of January 1, 2023.
By completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- List at least three recent or planned changes in California law impacting BBS associates in their delivery of mental health services or their supervision relationships
- Describe at least two legally required disclosures that must be provided by BBS associates to their therapy clients at the beginning of therapy
- Describe two key purposes of the Supervision Agreement
- Describe at least three ethical principles that have particular salience for prelicensed clinicians when providing mental health care
- Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate means of ending client relationships when moving to a new place of employment
Course Outline and Format
- 2023 changes in California law impacting associates
b. Training and education requirements
d. Abuse reporting
e. Temporary licenses
- Key reminders of areas of law impacting associates
b. Required disclosures
c. Employment law
d. Good Faith Estimates
- Key reminders of ethical standards for associates
b. Client care: Self-monitoring
c. Client care: Burnout
d. Termination and non-abandonment
On-demand video format. Total running time 3 hours, 2 minutes.
Course Completion and CE Certificates
To complete the course, watch all required video components, complete a quiz on course content with a score of at least 80%, and complete a satisfaction survey. When all course components have been successfully completed, your certificate will issue automatically and can be downloaded from your dashboard.
CE Provider Approval
Ben Caldwell Labs d/b/a High Pass Education is an approved provider of continuing education recognized by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (#137848). This course meets the qualifications for 3 hours of continuing education credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
Refunds, Grievances, Accommodations, and Additional Policies
Our policies on Accommodations can be found on our Accessibility page. All course videos are captioned. Our other CE policies can be found here.
Published October 17, 2022.